Friday, October 30, 2009

Praising My Way Out of Depression

One chapter in the book Biblescopes: Prophecy from One Who Created the Stars addresses depression and how I battle this giant more often than I should. You see, my life started in distress and difficulty from birth until now. When I decided to write using Biblescopes as the book title, I got a great deal of grief about the title. So, I tried to change it, find another, not write at all. Do these mind sets sound familiar? One who has known more loss, pain, abuse, and sickness than seems fair--signs of depression? Maybe just a poor self-esteem? Depression in one hand and poor self-esteem in the other. Let's see which I fill up faster!

I began asking God to help me know how to help others with possible depression symptoms that may only be manageable but still limiting. The first time I suffered dysfunctional depression was after the birth of my second child and the immediate divorce from my first husband. Next was after losing my home to foreclosure in 1984. Next was in 1988 when I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. My moods swing with the state of my health. I am the queen of good days and bad days.

I have been very close to God most of my life, even when I find myself in sin turning my back on Him. He still loves me. I have to ask His forgiveness so much depending on where I am on the love spectrum. He loves me, He loves me not, I love Him, I love Him not. Not too many variances in this relationship. Although, I could add--I think He loves me, I know He doesn't.

If you're reading this and you are depressed and possibly thinking of suicide or any other type of ...side, please, go to your nearest hospital, call 911, suicide hotline or other helps for severe depression. That end of the depression spectrum is too serious even for me to address. Although I'm not limiting God. He can help you but you may need Him and professional Christian or secular help.

When depression entered my life again, it was subtle, gentle, and manageable. I was having to deal with a new high stressed job, a pregnant teenager, and the symptoms of an incurable disease. I was calling in sick at work, staying up all night, sleeping all day, not answering the phone, and not helping my husband with the house.

Well, I must stop and start back up tomorrow. Remember, don't wait to ask for help whether from God or a doctor. Get help now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Powered By Blogger